If you’ve never had Apple Jalebi you are in for a real treat. Jalebi is an Arab and Indian sweet snack popular all over South Asia, and the Middle East. Apple Jalebi is batter-fried apple rounds dipped in sugar syrup and served hot. You’ll love this and delicious apple jalebi! The apples are dipped in a sweet batter and deep-fried to golden perfection.
- ½ refined flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon green cardamom powder
- ¼ cup yogurt
- A pinch of saffron strands for garnish
- 1 apple
- Oil for deep-frying
- Cherries for garnishing
If you were like me and had no clue what green cardamom powder was, I’ll explain. If you don’t have any, not to worry you can get it from Amazon.
Green cardamom is one of the most expensive spices by weight but little is needed to impart flavor. It is best stored in the pod, as exposed or ground seeds quickly lose their flavor. In the Middle East, green cardamom powder is used as a spice for sweet dishes, as well as a traditional flavoring in coffee and tea.
To make Apple Jalebi follow these directions …
1. Add flour, baking soda, green cardamom powder, yogurt, a pinch of saffron, and some water in a bowl and whisk together forming a lump-free batter.
2. Core and slice the apple.
3. Heat sufficient oil in a deep fryer. I used a Presto Fry Daddy.
4. Dip the sliced apples in the jalebi batter and deep-fry till golden.
5. Drain on an absorbent paper. Soak in the prepared sugar syrup also known as simple syrup. Simple syrup is 1 part sugar, 1 part water. In a medium saucepan combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved.
6. Transfer to a serving plate, garnish with a cherry on top of each. Sprinkle a few saffron strands and serve.